Friday, July 26, 2013

Update on the unschooling experiment




I had decided to unschool for the rest of Holly's K year. I don't think I actually did. As I have read more about unschooling I have discovered varying thoughts on what unschooling is. It seems for much of the general homeschool world "unschooling" means not using planned, scheduled curriculum, but learning through opportunities in everyday life and according to a child's interests. But a large segment of the unschooling world only considers the strict philosophy of completely child led learning to be unschooling. So if you are teaching anything to your child that they have not requested to learn you are not unschooling, even if they are willingly and happily participating.

I am incapable of following the strict definition of unschooling. I love to teach, I love to share new information I am discovering. I love to open people's eyes to new ideas. And I really appreciate when others teach and share new ideas with me. Strict unschooling would require withholding part of my personality from my children.

I am not sure who really "owns" the term unschooling. I believe it was coined by John Holt. But I have not yet read enough of him to decide what he would have the term mean. However in order to be clear, I guess I can't really call myself an unschooler.

I think I can safely call my prevailing educational bent "interest led learning". This sometimes involves pouncing. For example yesterday, I said "Get in the car Babe" to my girls. Heather pointed out that I should have said "Babes". So I started a fun conversation about plurals. The girls had fun and were learning, because I had pounced on an opportunity to teach some basics of grammar. Other times I have to stop and engage. Today Holly said she wanted to learn about flamingoes. So I took a break from cleaning the kitchen and we took out the animal books. We also plan to look for more flamingo books at the library next week. This then led to reading about other animals, and practicing writing the names of animals.

While my educational philosophy is still in a state of metamorphosis, it is beginning to form into something like this:

There are many things I think it would be useful for my girls to learn. But it is best for them to learn these things when they are interested and open to receiving the information. There is no rush. There will be things my girls want to learn I have never considered. I need to listen and be open to helping them pursue those interests. Many times pursuing their interest will cover those "useful" things on my list. But more importantly, those interests can take us on wonderful unexpected learning adventures together.

No comments:

Post a Comment