Friday, March 1, 2013

A wintry week


Mom had a break, we had snow and we tried something new. All in all it has been a good week.





* The girls had a sleepover at their aunts. They had a great time, all 4 of them even had pink jammies! So mom and dad got to go out to dinner alone and have a brief "staycation"

* Tuesday afternoon I thought I would go see what was absorbing so much of the girls attention. I found them in the upstairs hallway organizing their books by letter of the alphabet. I laughed at the lone "R", a "Residential Garage Door" catalog that somehow slipped into their book pile.

* The girls started phonics notebooks. Holly's is based on word families. Heather's is on letters of the alphabet. Holly has been becoming frustrated with her previously loved phonics program. I felt that a little break was in order. So we are learning and reinforcing skills from a different, fun approach for a few weeks. We have had similar "stuck points" in both math and handwriting. In both cases after a little break we have experienced exponential growth in each area. I hope to write a separate post about our new notebooking experience soon.






We had rain and sleet all Tuesday morning, which later changed to snow. We didn't have a lot of accumulation. But it did look pretty. It was excellent "snowman" snow. So finally on Thursday I took the girls outside. This is their first snowman. He is a little short, but the snow wasn't very deep. They also made snow angels. Shallow "snowman" snow is not the best snow angel snow, but they came out okay. We threw in a little nature study. We found animal tracks. We did a little science and talked about the ice that was falling on our heads from the trees since it was 33 degrees out.

I am thankful I have my girls at home. They have time to come up with creative independent activities. I can tailor their education to the ebb and flow of their learning. And we can take time to play in the snow.

Linking up with Homegrown Learners

1 comment:

  1. Cute snowman! My kids have been enjoying lots of snow play in the past couple weeks too. :-)

    ReplyDelete