I never got straight A's in elementary school. I often received almost all A's except for 1 subject, penmanship. My handwriting was readable, but so very ugly. So my otherwise perfect record was marred by B's and sometimes even C's in penmanship.
Then I had a wonderful 5th grade teacher. Mrs. Y pulled me aside one day and asked me if I wanted to work on my handwriting. She gave me a handwriting book and had me start doing the exercises on my own. I was delighted to learn it. I discovered all these interesting things. I still remember the revelation that all letters were supposed to be the same proportion. For example o's, a's, b's etc... should be the same width, and the "round part" should be the same height. Those lessons, which were ungraded and unforced revolutionized my handwriting.
By my junior year in high school my penmanship was so precise that I quickly took notes in tiny writing. In the interest of saving paper I put 2 to 4 lines of notes per 1 college ruled notebook line. I still can write that small and neatly today. In the rare occasions where writing might be publicly displayed I often am told - "You write it, you have the best handwriting."
So my principles:
First of all, having bad handwriting at age nine was not a predictor of my future handwriting abilities.
Second, when I was developmentally ready (about age 10) I learned quickly and easily, and thoroughly retained what I learned.
Third, I was blessed with a teacher who was in tune with my needs and respectful of me as a person. My peers didn't know I was working on handwriting. She presented the option to me as a way to improve myself, not a need to fix something "broken"
Fourth, unrequired and ungraded work can be completed with excellence, if it meets a felt need.
I think it's amazing how the Lord brings back these stories from my childhood so He can guide me on how to teach and lead my own kids. Quieting down and listening to Him are one of the best ways to find out just HOW to overcome a new challenge.
ReplyDeleteI got my DD10 learning cursive using a website called the hevproject. Now she just needs to learn the capital letters in cursive. :)