This was our first read aloud. I picked it up at a garage sale because I fondly remembered it from my own childhood. I can't remember how old I was when I first read it. But I remember enjoying the adventure by Gertrude Chandler Warner.
The story opens with 4 orphaned siblings running away from being adopted by their grandfather. They don't know him and assume he is unkind. They eventually find an abandoned boxcar and make it their home. They are resourceful and hard working. They are very loyal to each other, and these siblings never fight. My girls, ages 3 and 5, were entranced by the story. We read it in 3 sittings.
It is funny to read a book you loved as a child as an adult. These kids were so very good. It is a bit implausible. And the book is simplistic and idealistic. But simple idealistic adventure is great for young children. I still enjoyed the story, and found myself reading ahead to find out what happens next.
This is the copy I have. It was published in 1989, when I was in high school. The book was originally published in 1924. The cover art in this 1989 edition made me bit nuts. The girls kept trying to figure out which character was which. The 80's clothing on the cover of a story clearly set in the early twentieth century was annoying. However the inside of the book, is just what I remember, including the illustrations. The illustrations are not on each page, but are frequent enough to keep my littlest's interest. They are also in an interesting silhouette style.
I highly recommend this book. I hope in the next few years each of the girls will read this book by themselves. But, I definitely consider it as possibly a repeat read aloud.
No comments:
Post a Comment